5.16.2012

Seems so new, but is so vintage...


I really like this trend. Now that unnatural colored hair is more acceptable, less on the fringe, the pale pastel hair color look can be done with little to no ostrisization by the public. Stars like Kelly Osbourne and Katie Perry have been rocking this look lately. I predict next Spring it will be even more everywhere. As I have been working on these posts thru the summer, more and more images are popping up online and in magazines with this these haircolors.

When hair turns grey with age and you are surrounded by cigarette smoke, as was often the case in the mid-century, your hair could quickly turn yellow. Blue and lavender toner is used to counteract this yellow. These toners also fade after a few washes, so it is common, for the initial application, to make the toner a little darker to make it last longer. Sometimes people went a little too dark. And sometimes they went a little too dark on purpose.

The truth is this pastel hair color look was worn by women as far back as the 1930s. In New York, an older society woman who was also an interior decorator and all around creative person made the pastel color hair trend popular by overly toning her grey hair and it caught on quickly with her older society friends. The pastel color was not always an accident as some people may think.

In this vintage advertisement for Lapinal Creme Hair Color, colors include white pink, blonde pink, tickled pink, and tickled pinker.




Pastel hair color options could include pink, lavender, blue and sometimes even yellow. The color wasn't a rebellion either. Although the women wearing it were a bit eccentric, it was actually considered very high fashion and European to wear your hair this way.

In my never ending quest to make myself insane, I decided to do a little experimentation with this new/old hair trend and see what options were available today to get this beautiful look. Stay tuned over the next few days as I upload my experiments in hopes of passing on to you how you can get my new favorite old hairstyle trend.

If you are just starting here because of a google search, I would suggest going back and reading all the entries labeled Pastel Hair by clicking here http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Pastel%20Hair. This is only one in a series of blog entries about experimenting with vintage pastel hair color looks and there may be something useful in another one of the entries or comments that you need to know before you begin.



9 comments:

  1. This post reminds me of when Frenchie dyed her hair pink by accident in the movie Grease. I never understood why she was upset over it

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a premature grey gal who must dye her locks every 2 - 3 weeks, I am really excited about this post and to see what photos you will have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this vintage look and since I have yellow blonde hair I have been wanting to try it out I can't wait to see what u post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what you come up with. My friend Wendi and I were seriously just lamenting the loss of the Clariol Toners and the Born Blonde series. I just don't love the Wella toners. I miss pink blonde toner!!! If you have any pull - get them to bring it back! Fanciful just does not cut it LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I was 13 I used to look at the pink, lavender and blue haired ladies of high coiffures and longing to be old enough to do my hair like that. I am now 45 and prematurely grey and loving the colour but people still laugh at me and tell me I couldn't possibly go pastel! They are so wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a special interest for 18th century beauty when it was popular to powder the hair. Usually white or grey, but I have found the following colours listed: flesh, rose, cherry, blue and green. So pastel ahir seems to be an old, old trend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh I always say I can't wait till I'm old and have pastel hair! Pravana makes a cotton candy pink I can vouch for. It works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to work for an old guy, had been in the biz over 50 years. He told me once that back in the 50s, every friday, he would tint his wife's hair a pastel shade to match whatever dress she was going to wear when they went dancing that night. I always thought it was the coolest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome Lynn. I love the conversations that are starting from this subject.

    ReplyDelete