6.07.2011

Keeping vintage hair simple with a beret

Berets are a perfect simple accessory to go vintage. The hat style has been around for ages and so can fit with most decades and because it covers most of your head when you put it on, you can fudge your vintage hairstyle without feeling like you need to be an expert. You can put it with the right outfit from your favorite decade and it instantly fits the time period.

Marlene Dietrich wore it great with her men's suits. Think about putting your hair in a low bun with this look.


I really like this sort of frizzy bob on Greta Garbo. A sign of this time period was hair that didn't look perfectly pomaded and curled. Because their perming processes and hair products could be very hard on their hair, hair didn't always look perfectly healthy.


Lana Turner's hair was pretty short here in The Postman Always Rings Twice, but if you have longer hair, you could pin some of it up inside the beret to shorten how it looks.


Nina Foch's hairstyle could easily be achieved with a good thermal styler and medium hot rollers.


Britt Ekland wears her simple bangs with curled ends.


Brigitte Bardot's sauerkraut hairstyle was often too big for a beret, but this 60s bob is great with it.


9 comments:

  1. What divine pictures! I love berets,they seem to be the only hats I feel suit me! I have a fabulous animal print one which is too nice to leave in a drawer during the warm weather, so I have it hung on my 50's dressing table as a decoration. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! I've only just realised the connection between your blog and the vintage hairstyling book that I have on the dressing table that I just mentioned!! It's absolutely excellent! I recently went to a 30's cocktail party and the faux bob turned out super! Thank you xxx (I've got a blog post in draft mentioning the book, hope that's okay, if you want to check out the 30's faux bob feel free to pop over!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love a good beret. Any hat, actually. {Heavy sigh} Oh how I wish men and women still work such stylish headware all the time!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog! For a second, I thought Brigitte was Faye from Bonnie and Clyde.

    Berets are actually my go-to accessory when I'm a day behind on washing and styling my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. Makes me want to dig mine out from the bottom of my drawer. A terrible piece of neglect from me. Thanks for the prompt and gorgeous pics. Lottie -x-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love berets. They go with eveything and you can always change their look by adding a brooch or something like that. I wear mine the Marlene-way (with another hairstyle, though) but I also like how Nina Foch wears it like a flatcap. Have to try that for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I always thought wearing my hair with a beret would make my hair look odd, but seeing others, such as Britt Ekland, showed me that it really would look quite snazzy :P Thanks for the lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the hairstyling book, and the blog. I just have one question- eyeglasses. I aim more for the 1940s look, but I have to wear glasses. There are never pictures from the era of the visually impaired.

    ReplyDelete