2.09.2010

Gwen Stefani Hairstyle

I do not normally do New Year's resolutions. Ever since I constantly disappointed myself breaking quitting smoking tries and diet attempts, I gave up. I still quit smoking. I just stopped putting pressure on my self that it be done on January 1st. I just waited until my body told me it was ready, which turned out to be August 16th, 2007..or was it 2006? I can't remember anymore.

But I have a resolution this year that I intend to stick to. Since I started this blog, I invited readers to ask me questions and I would do my best to answer them. So now I am committing myself to get these things answered as best I can. I know it may be a little late for those of you who sent me emails a year ago, but my procrastination sometimes gets the better of me.

I am just going to do my best to honor what I promised, which is a very important quality to me. When I tell a friend I will do something, I stick to it. And my friends know they can count on me. Why should the blog and all of you readers be any different?

So here is the first in what I hope will be a long line of overdue blog promises, including how-to's, product tests, and general help in achieving your goals with your hair. This is going to take a few months. There have been a lot of questions and requests between my email and comments left, so keep tuning in.

It begins with a request from Cara who wrote to me and asked, "was wondering if you would do a post on your blog about how to do a style like the one attached. Not sure what's going on in the back of the head, but I imagine all the hair swooped up in that one amazing mega-curl! Gwen Stefani has some really fun styles!"

So here is my interpretation of what may be going on here. I started with a 1" barrel curling iron. I didn't really give her a curl, just some bend in the hair. I used some thermal spray and pomade to smooth and protect the hair.

The sections of the style are asymmetric. One side of the top section is parted above the outer eyebrow. The other side of the top section parts starting at the hairline about an inch above the ear. Clip this out of the way.


Take all of the rest of the hair and create a French twist. The ends are not tucked in above the twist at this point. I am actually going to use the ends to help create some stamina for the pompadour. This doll has a decent amount of hair, so if you have fine hair, a rat may help you here.


Take the top section that was clipped out of the way and direct it tightly over-directing the hair to the opposite side. As I have stated before, the direction the hair is brushed and started for a victory roll like this has a great effect on where the roll sits on the head after it is finished. For this style to work properly, the hair should be directed far off to the side.

Roll the hair into a large victory roll.

At the top of the head, direct this hair gently over the ends of the French twist that are sticking up above the twist and blend as best you can the two sections.

This top section is not yet pinned into place. I speread the roll a little to open it up and work with the placement before I pinned it in.

This hairstyle was super fun to do and I love the way it turned out and I hope to see some girls at Viva Las Vegas wearing it! It is like a really modern pompadour for a girl.



21 comments:

  1. Fantastic demonstration! You made the dummy head look gorgeous and exactly like Gwen's. I can't wait to try this; it's so sleek and would be perfect for one of Melbourne's windy days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, awesome!! Love it!!! Makes me regret just cutting my bangs....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This hairstyle is amazing, i can't wait to try it! Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have amazing tutorials that are easy to follow for other hair/fashionista's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours looks better than hers!!! You're amazing!! I'm going to have to try this one out!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo make the most incredible hair styles seem easy-to-do. I like yours more than Gwen's!! Thank you for your clues!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippeee! so excited to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing, I think my hair is to fine to get this to work.

    I might have a play though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my color fades so quickly at the ends, this is a perfect way to hide it until i can recolor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic! I've always wanted to try that style but never knew how it worked. Now I will for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the tutorial. This was my first attempt at anything like this. I didn't quite succeed but I loved it anyways.

    :-)

    http://inkcicles.blogspot.com/2010/02/bling-fashion-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing! wish I had twice as much hair and coud do this! do some tuturoials about short vintage hair cuts (a la marilyn in her shorter days) or maybe some short hair styles please!! That would be amazing!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh thank you. I love Gwen! She always had THE coolest retro hairstyles back in the 90s during No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! I often wear a french twist and this is a wonderful alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  15. cute post!

    I really like your blog. I am a new follower. Check out mine too when you get a chance.

    www.the-blisslist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried this one at a party last week and it didn't turn out exactly the same but pretty similar, it looked sooo cool if I may say so myself! Great blog and awesome tips! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you!! Totally going to try this tonight!!

    -- Cara

    ReplyDelete