12.09.2009

Madmen Holiday Card

I just wanted to share this with everyone out there who might be addicted to Madmen like me. This was a holiday picture for an advertising agency I work with here in Denver. They wanted to do a Madmen theme for their holiday card, so my friend Jenece and I were hired on to do their hair and makeup.

I love the way this turned out. The house belongs to one of the art directors. I joked to his wife that they own my dream home, a mid-mod house on the North-West part of Denver. And they did an amazing job of holding on to its original grandeur.

It is kind of hard to tell in the photo, but we slicked down a lot of hair. Colorado is a very earthy state and none of the guys even put product in their hair and a few of them have wild curly hair.

The lady in the blue dress was actually wearing a hot pink dress, which they color corrected later. Kinda wish I could do that in real life to a few of my dresses. Her hair was very Bettie, when we first did it with hot rollers using the same pattern as the 50s Fake Bob in the book, but alas it lost its life through a trip across town and an hour of test shots. I knew I should have used more product.
Miss Red picked a Joan hairstyle she wanted to wear. Who doesn't want to look like Joan? After seeing the photo, I should have parted her hair further to the side above the outer corner of her eyebrow, but we were pressed for time and I was just trying to get it done. We had 2 and 1/2 hours to do everyone. I am still a little shocked we did it.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

16 comments:

  1. What a great photo, i wonder if i could persuade my colleagues to do the same?!
    I think i like Bettie's hair best, though i wouldn't say no to a Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowowowowow what a cool idea! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did fantastic!

    I love the house, too.

    It would have been cool to see them "before," too.

    BTW, I'm LOVING your book. I'm having all kinds of trouble, though, because I have NO experience. But, I'm having a blast trying the styles out. I think it would help if I had four hands instead of two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this photo - I love it. What a clever idea and congrats on such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!! that's fabulous - you did an amazing job!! (so did they with all the clothing - and the house, omg, inky's dream house indeed!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and fascinating job! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And this is why I adore you. You did all this in such a short time...and it's brilliant. I want to meet you more than I want to meet Gene Kelly...but you aren't dead so maybe we can work that out.

    Love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, that is a great picture! Fantastic job on the hair and make-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, looks amazing! I am addicted to Mad Men too - Wish my colleagues could all get together to do the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the card!

    And so excited to stumble on the blog of another Denver vintage lover!

    xo,

    www.thelipsticklist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my god thats sooooo cool!! Im going to try and convince my family to do it!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is AMAZING! I actually thought it *was* Mad Men until I read the bit where you said... you know.. that it's a real ad company and you styled them. *must learn to read!*

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun project to get to work on!

    How did I not know about your blog until today?! Vintage beauty stuff is my thang too! Well, one of my thangs. :)

    Can't wait to look around some more!

    Best,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete