10.01.2008

Vintage Salons and Hairstylists



Here is a list of vintage hairstylists and retro makeup artists that may be near you. Please scroll through to find your area. If you would like to be a part of this list, please email me at info at hrstbooks.com with the name of your business and location, qualifications, a portfolio image, and contact information.






Melbourne and travels all over Australia
Candice Deville
candice at candicedeville.com.au
Candice DeVille is a multi-disciplinary artist specializing in style and vintage glamour. With over twenty years experience as both a vintage fashion collector and lifestyle enthusiast, Ms. Deville has combined her multitude of skills to provide a singular solution for those seeking a serious dose of glamour for themselves, their clients or campaigns.

Melbourne
Margeaux Vallantyne
Dames of Distinction
LV 1 Mitchell House
358 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, VIC 3000
(03) 9640 0555
www.damesofdinstinction.com.au
Dames of Distinction is a vintage parlour, combining a lingerie boutique and beauty salon based in the Melbourne CBD (Australia)We focus on the finishing touches, those details which complete an overall vintage look. 


In the salon Margeaux tends to your grooming needs - styling your hair and makeup just like the starlets of the Golden Age: Monroe, Russell, Hepburn. Available for all kinds of events, transforming you into your Dame of choice, circa 1920-1960.

Workshops are also held regularly to pass on tips and tricks so modern Dames are able to style themselves. 
All products used are cruelty free, with some vegan options available too.  We also offer nail art and vintage (half moon) manicures. 







Vancouver 
East Vanity Parlour
East Vanity Parlour is most famous for our vintage updo’s, classic sets and old school styles. Though the days here are packed with friends and clients maintaining their cuts and couture colors, it often gets bombarded by a frenzy Burlesque inspired beauties primping and prepping for the evening. We cater to clients from the age of 4 (sometimes even younger) to the age 65 (sometimes even older).






Leicester, England
Pin Curls and Pompadours
pincurlsandpompadours at googlemail.com
I am a vintage stylist specializing in recreating authentic hair and make-up looks from the 1920's to 1970's. I have been lucky enough to be part of many ladies' wedding days. I have also styled fashion shows/shoots and lectured at Leicester University. I adore to meet other ladies who have a passion for all things vintage and am always happy to advise on vintage clothing and accessories.

Miss Betty's Beauty Parlor
It's Something Hell's
Kingly Court Unit 2.16 
07896153491
Been voted best hair salon for retro styling by TIME OUT magazine, No 1 place for rockabilly styling by PIMP mag the London guides, Londons Rockabilly & Retro hairdresser by TOTAL TATTOO mag  and many more.

London
Olivia Howarth
04703 200 832
o215044@yahoo.co.uk
I'm a hair-stylist specializing in vintage styles, so contact me if you would like a lovely up-do for a wedding, some sultry waves for a night-out or help styling you and your friends at your own vintage party. I can also provide make-up services. I have styled all hair and make-up in the photographs shown in the 'picture show' page of my website - have a look-see..!

London
Anneke Irving
079 2661 0190
www.retromorphosist.com
I am a makeup artist and hair stylist for any occasion that demands a little extra style or panache, from weddings, hen-do's and parties, to photo-shoots, film and theatre. My skills cater for all occasions-simple, sassy, or sensational.

Norwich, Norfolk
Flamingo Amy
I am a vintage stylist who is devoted to creating hair styles from the 1930's to 1960's, but I am also interested in creating looks from other long past era's too! I am available for demo's, 1 to 1 tutorials and weddings. Please see my website.

Essex
Lynnette Chasmer
I studied and qualified as a hairstylist at The London of Fashion. I now do bridal, prom, and vintage styling in my area.

Belfast, Northern Ireland
Vintage Rocks Hair Parlour
The Vintage Rocks team of stylists are some of the most creative, passionate and talented stylists around Belfast. In Vintage Rocks short but very successful time Clare has guided her team into the world of Vintage Hairdressing. 




Newport Beach, California
The Vintage Hair Salon
2436 W Coast Hwy #102
Newport Beach, CA 92663
(949) 335-8172 to make an appointment
Specializing in vintage, retro, rockabilly hairstyles, men's barbering, ladies cuts and color, and curly hair.

Sacramento, California
Jen Steffens at AJF Salon
(916) 969-2556 to set up an appointment. On location or at salon.
I am a CA state licensed cosmetologist and freelance make-up artist. Hair from the 1920's-1950's is my specialty and my main passion. I do weddings and am also available for fashion shows, proms, and other special events.

San Francisco Bay Area, California
Vivian Dinis
Further contact information available on website
I am a freelance hair & makeup artist and licensed cosmetologist in Ca. Available for weddings, proms, special events and other occasions. I have a passion for vintage hair and makeup and enjoy recreating the classy looks of yesteryear!

San Jose, California
Erin Lopez at Ego Mechanix Salon
34 South First St. 2nd Floor
cell (408) 280-1275 for appointments
fiftypetticoats at gmail.com
As a 1950's housewife in a 2012 hairstylist's body, I specialize in accurate, smooth and beautiful period hair. I am available for weddings, photoshoots, fashion shows, parties, proms and sockhops. Events are important, and so is event hair!

Denver, Colorado
Lauren Rennells
cell (720) 934-9119
lrennells at yahoo.com
Vintage hairstyling and makeup for photography, events, and weddings. Specializing in recreating hairstyles from the late 1800's through the mid-20th century and into the 1960's. On location services or in-house and I'm happy to meet others that have the vintage interest.

Hollywood, Florida
Artistic Impressions by Riviera
7228 Taft Street
Hollywood, FL 33024
(954) 632-1942
Riviera Decordova has been a hair stylist for over 20 years. She will bring out the inner pin up girl in us all in 20 minutes or less. From the decadent finger waves of the 1920s to the bedroom curls of the 1950s, Riviera will effortlessly turn back the hands of time.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
 Moxie Beauty and Hair Parlor
4329 Kalamazoo Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI
616-281-8699
We can help you achieve the look of a more glamorous time! Moxie hair designers and make up artists are also available for photoshoots, fashion shows, weddings, and other events!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Rebecca Gohl
Vintage Hairstylist and Makeup Artist
Salon 616-776-7050 Cell 616-802-4399
vintagelook3 at yahoo.com
I specialize in 1800s hairstyles (Marie Antoinette), 1920s - 1960s period correct hair. It is my passion and my job. For that I'm the luckiest person in the world. I have worked on Fashion shows , Pin-up shoots, Movies and Weddings. I have many many photos Please e-mail me for a resume.

New Jersey
Monica Lopez
(908) 693-4009
I am a licensed cosmetologist and freelance hair and makeup artist for weddings, events, and pin-up photo-shoots. I also specialize in eyebrow shaping and permanent makeup, both modern and retro looks. Please go to my website to see my vintage work and contact me with any questions.

New York, New York
Michelle St Darling
586-350-4492
michellestdarling at gmail.com
Michelle St Darling has been in the beauty industry for 14 years. She is a freelance stylist specializing in vintage styling in New York City. With a background in sculpture, her talents range from styles from the Victorian era all the way through modern day hair art. She now also writes a blog for teaching the masses about the science of hair.

Dallas, Texas
Brittany Castaneda with Clive and Co.
5301 Alpha Rd.#46
Dallas, TX 75240
972/934-0500
Celebrating 20 years in the industry. My work ranges from classic vintage hairstyling to avant garde with a strong emphasis on precision haircuts,and blending techniques to create structured looks that are still soft.

The Bobby Pin Blog has provided this list as a guide for people looking for a hairstylist or salons in their area that offer retro/vintage hairstyling and makeup services. The blog does not guarantee or sponsor any stylist or salon and suggests contacting them for further information on services and capabilities.

19 comments:

  1. Do you know of any in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is one (that i know of) in Brazil. this is their blog: http://www.retrohair.com.br/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Canada, http://www.cherrybombkustoms.com is my friend Krista Dee (Calgary, AB specifically). I told her this list was being made, but obviously she hasn't sent in her information. I'll pass it along again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm desperate for a stylist in Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! What about NY? There's got to be some in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for someone in Charlottesville, Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gothenburg, Sweden
    Lovely Ellen at Retrodeluxe will get your hair stylish in no time. She also hosts workshops in her shop and vintage studio.

    Stockholm, Sweden
    At Downeys Blommor och Jazz (Downey's Flower and Jazz) you can get you hair done for the wedding, bachelorette parties et cetera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one's in London.

    http://www.ninasvintageandretrohair.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey anyone in Sydney should visit Sterling Hair in Surry Hills - Tony does both guys and girls and has an big following amongst the vintage aficionados and rockabillies in town.

    Shp 3, 29 Brisbane Street in Surry Hills, NSW, AUSTRALIA

    http://sterlinghair.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anyone know of any good stylists in Melbourne, Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Second Sterling. Tony and his crew are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. San Diego, California

    http://www.rockabetties.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking for one in Houston Texas, but *sob* haven't been able to find any :(.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm moving to Cleveland and need a stylist who can do good bangs and a midi cut.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Could you possibly add me to your list? I am based in Bristol uk and my website is
    http://shearmadness.co.uk
    Many thanks, let me know if you need more info
    Esme x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sadly, the two places listed for Canada appear to have broken links...or am I loopy?

    Oh, and I may have a stylist in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada to add - once I can get her permission to add her here, that is. She works out of her basement, but seems to have a good eye for vintage haircutting with a bit of a modern twist. Loving my 1920's-ish short bob! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. His Vintage Touch/Tony Medina in Los Angeles, CA. https://www.facebook.com/hisvintagetouch

    ReplyDelete